Contact JKM. . .
- Phone: 773-256-0739
- Fax: 773-753-8103
- E-mail: email@example.com
How do I borrow an item the library doesn't own? (Interlibrary loan)
If you've discovered an item (book, article, etc.) in any of the online databases that you would like to borrow
- Locate the record for the book, article, etc. in the appropriate online database (ATLA RDB, OTA, NTA, Academic Search Premier, ArticleFirst, etc.).
- Click on the Request this item from JKM or another library link. An interlibrary loan request form will appear. Please note that interlibrary loan is a privilege restricted to only those individuals currently affiliated with LSTC or McCormick.
- Before placing an interlibrary loan request for a book, please confirm that it is not already owned by jKM by checking the online catalog. If the item is owned by JKM, please have the item retrieved from the stacks (for instruction on how to request a book from the stacks, click here).
- Complete the form, filling in all required fields (those marked with an *: name, 14-digit JKM Library barcode number, email address, etc.). Note that the database has already copied the bibliographic information into the Item Details portion of the request.
- If you have not done so before, read the Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions to ensure that your request falls within the "fair use" provisions of Title 17 of the U.S. Code.
- Click on the Submit button to place your request.
- Library staff will place an interlibrary loan request with those libraries that own the book, periodical, etc.
- Note that some libraries may charge to lend their materials — especially if the item is not widely held — or may specify that the loan is for 'library use only.' If the lending library charges, library staff will contact you to determine if you are willing to pay the cost associated with borrowing the item. If you are unwilling to pay, library staff will submit the interlibrary loan request to other libraries (if any) that are willing to lend the item. If you are willing to pay the amount specified, please make the check payable to the lending library (not to the JKM Library).
- Upon arrival of the item, library staff will contact you that it is being held for you at the circulation desk and when the item is due. If an item is not picked up 10 working days after notification, the item will be returned to the lending library.
- If you need the item for longer than the specified loan period, contact JKM Library staff well in advance of the due date that you would like to request a renewal. Not all libraries are willing to renew. You are responsible for any overdue fees or replacement costs if the item is damaged while in your possession.
- When you are finished with the item, please return it to the JKM circulation desk, and inform circulation staff that the item is an interlibrary loan.
- Failure to return an interlibrary loan after notification that the item is overdue will result in your JKM privileges being blocked and your school's registrar notified.
If you've discovered an item (book, article, etc.) that is not found in any of the online databases
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide as much bibliographic information (author, title, publisher, date of publication, pagination, etc.) as you know.
- Library staff will place an interlibrary loan request with those libraries (if any) that own the book, periodical, etc.