Contact JKM. . .
- Phone: 773-256-0739
- Fax: 773-753-8103
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I get a book retrieved from the stacks?
To request a book from the stacks, you need to know the following:
- In the JKM Library, there are two major collections — Stacks and EPRC — that comprise the vast percentage of that portion of the collection that can be checked out. Using the Request this item from the stacks function of the JKM online catalog, you can ask circulation staff to retrieve an item from either of these two collections. Or, alternatively, you can visit the LSTC west wing (where the Stacks and EPRC are located) and check the item out in person during those hours when the west wing is open.
- Items in the Stacks collection with the status of "Checked out," "Lost (Overdue)," Lost (Not on shelf)," "On order," or "In processing," cannot be requested using this retrieval system. If an item has a status of "Checked out," or "Lost (Overdue)," contact the circulation desk at 773.256.0739 or email@example.com and ask that staff recall the item for you. Please note that the recall function is a privilege reserved only to those individuals currently affiliated with McCormick or LSTC.
- Items in the other collections — Reference, Reserve, and Dissertations — cannot be requested as they do not circulate (Reference and Dissertations) or circulate for a restricted period of time (Reserve).
- Circulation staff will retrieve books from the closed stacks (when classes are in session) after 10 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
Requesting an item from the stacks:
- Find the item in the catalog that you wish to have library staff retrieve from the stacks.
- In the Copy/Holding section of the record (where Location, Collection, Call Number, and Status are displayed) double-check that the item you wish to request is in the Stacks or EPRC collection.
- On the far right-hand side of the screen noticed that there is a Request this item from stacks link for each item listed.
- Click on the Request this item from stacks link.
- The Login screen appears.
- Input your 14-digit JKM Library barcode number (the same number used to check your JKM Library account information) without spaces in the Borrower ID box. When you applied for privileges at JKM we usually place the barcode on the back of your LSTC or McCormick i.d.
- Click on Login.
- The Request Confirmation screen appears.
- If you wish to confirm your request, click Request. If you've changed your mind and decide you don't want the item (but wish to continue searching), click Cancel. Or, if you decide you do not wish to place a request and want to log out, click Cancel and Logout.
- If the item has two or more volumes, you must request each volume.
- If you have overdue materials, owe fines totaling $75 or over, or your privileges have expired (they expire annually), you will be unable to place a request until the overdue materials are returned or renewed, the fines paid, or your privileges renewed. Please contact the JKM circulation desk at 773.256.0739 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Once you have placed a request for the item, the Request Confirmation screen appears, confirming your request. Note that the Request Confirmation screen provides the following information: a) your queue position (others may have requested the item before you); b) that you'll be notified by email when the book is available for pickup at the JKM east circulation desk; and, c) the date which your request expires (7 days).
- Circulation staff retrieve items from the stacks (when classes are in session) Mondays through Thursdays at 10 a.m. No retrievals can be done on Fridays, weekends or upon special request.
- After the item has been retrieved and you have been notified that it is available for pickup, you have 7 days to pick up the item at the JKM East circulation desk. After 7 days, the item will be returned to the stacks.
- If you have any questions, please contact the JKM circulation desk at 773.256.0739 or email@example.com.